Monday, April 9, 2007
Posted by Jason Dunn in "HARDWARE" @ 07:00 AM
Product Category: Motherboard and Processor (CPU)
Where to Buy: Amazon.com Motherboard and Processor [Affiliate]
Price: $199 USD (motherboard), $509 USD (processor)
System Requirements: ATX computer case
Specifications: Motherboard specifications, Processor specifications.
- The E6700 Core 2 Duo CPU is incredibly fast;
- Big 4 MB cache on CPU;
- Motherboard has dual 16x PCI Express slots for ATI Crossfire dual GPU support;
- No-fans on the motherboard, everything is passively cooled.
- The E6700 CPU is at the high end of the price/performance ratio, the E6400 is better bang for the buck;
- Motherboard lacks eSATA port, no Firewire 800 either;
- Ugly Viiv software install problems due to lack of proper Vista support;
- Motherboard RAM slots are too close to top PCI Express slot;
- Inconsistant overclocking results.
Intel turned the tables on AMD last year with the release of their Core 2 Duo processors, taking the performance crown. The Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 is the top-end processor in this line (until you step up to the Extreme processor), and when paired with the Intel D975XBX2 motherboard you get a tantalizing combination of power and speed. How does the combination measure up? I took the motherboard and CPU and had them installed in a case, bought some RAM and other components, then took it all for a spin. This review will focus mostly on the Intel motherboard and CPU rather than the other components.
Read on for the full review!